Friday, February 18, 2011

Nicaragua!!! Day 9



The phone alarm went off the next morning, and there we were in the Best Western Hotel for our final hours in Nicaragua.  I have to admit, I cried a little as we packed everything up.  It had been the most perfect trip of my life.  I really did love every second of it!  So we went and ate breakfast (gallo pinto- divine!) and walked around a bit, soaking up the sun.

Then we checked out and took a taxi to the airport.  Fanny (the girl from Matagalpa that wasn't there when we were) called and wanted to meet us at the airport because she was in Managua!  So we were very excited and after we checked our bags we went and met her in the front area of the airport.  She was such a sweetheart!  Brock said she was one of his most solid converts.  Even though her family didn't want her to get baptized, she put her foot down, told them she knew it was true, and that she was joining the church.  I could see that strong headed spirit she had when we met her.  I liked her a lot!

As we said bye to her and were about to go through security, I remembered something I had forgotten: my travel pillow!  Brock bought me one of those nice Brookstone U-shaped pillows for the plane rides to help with motion sickness and help me sleep on the plane.  It worked wonders on the way there, and I carried it all over that country just so I could have it on the way home!  And then in the very last hour I left it!!!  Luckily, the Best Western is directly across the street from the airport, and their taxi was just pulling up dropping other people off at the airport.  So after I convinced Brock that I really really wanted my pillow, he went over to the taxi guy and asked if he'd take us back.  Since he was heading there anyway he didn't even charge us.  We went back and talked to the hotel guy who said that Housekeeping was in our room right now!

So we rushed over there and the room was already clean.  But the housekeeping lady was in the next room!  So Brock asked her if she had seen a blue U-shaped pillow while she was cleaning (I was really hoping she had otherwise I would have been WAY embarrassed).  She smiled and pulled out a plastic bag where she had put my pillow!  Yay!!!  I thanked her graciously and we were off!  (Good thing we got to the airport way early...  again!).  Since our bags were already checked at the airport, we decided to be daring and just book it across the Managua Highway.  I was pretty much terrified but trusting Brock.  We waited for a break and then ran!  Haha that was an adrenaline rush!  If I haven't explained it before, the Nicaragua streets are CRAZY!  There are almost no traffic laws and people (even buses) are constantly weaving in and out around each other.  It's intense.  There were a few times on our trip that I was legitimately afraid for our lives!  Haha, but we survived :)

And there we were, back at the airport!  We went through security and had about an hour and a half to spare before boarding our flight.  The only food place on the gate side of the airport was Subway!  So that's what we got.  And the lady working there spoke English!  Okay so here is embarrassing story number two of the day.  I ordered, and then Brock ordered in Spanish.  As he was about to pay, I was like, "Oh wait!  Ask her if I can have a water!"  She looked at me all weird, and handed me a water bottle.  Duh!  I had already forgotten she spoke English!  I was so used to having Brock translate everything for me that it was just second nature to do it again!  I apologized, trying to explain that to her...  really hoping she didn't take offense!  Hahaha it was embarrassing :)

Anyway, then we ate our Subway (not quite as good as in the US but not bad!) and explored the airport a little bit.  They had all this crazy expensive stuff there!  It was so weird after seeing everything on the streets so cheap haha I guess they can always charge more at the airport!  Anyway, finally it was time to board.  I took my dramamine, took one last look at the beautiful Nicaragua, and then got on the plane.  As we took off Brock was pointing out to me all the lakes and volcanoes.  It was so cool to look at them and see how much we traveled all over that country!  Brock said that in 9 days we saw more of Nicaragua than most Nicaraguans ever see.  We really did go everywhere!  It was a lot of walking and driving, but so worth every bit of it!

And then, before we knew it, we were home.  Back in the freezing winter of Utah.  It was a very bitter sweet moment as we walked into our little apartment.  Finally home, and not really able to decide if I wanted to be or not.  I could have stayed in Nicaragua forever- the friendly laid back atmosphere, the warm sunshine, the delicious food, the humidity, the beautiful plants...  It was the perfect adventure and so worth every second of it!  It really did give me some new perspectives on life and I will never forget what I learned there.  Nicaragua was a huge piece of Brock's life and I am so happy that I finally got to share it with him.  Maybe one day we'll be able to go back again, and maybe not.  But if not, we will treasure the memories of those 9 days forever.

1 comment: