Friday, September 2, 2011

Missionaries

So, Brock and I have a lot of close family and friends that are out serving LDS missions right now.  I just spent all morning writing to them, and I got to thinking.  I was telling my little brother that I am so happy for him that he's out serving, and that my whole life I always wanted to be a missionary, but that the Lord had a different plan for me that was just as wonderful....  his name is Brock :-)

And I kind of feel like I got to serve my own mission, here in Logan.  Right when I turned 21, the standard age for a Sister Missionary, I got called as the Relief Society President in my ward.  I served in that calling for 9 months, until Brock and I felt that it was the right time to move into a new place.  I learned so much from that calling, and I am so grateful that I had that opportunity!  And now I have a calling in the Primary, with the music, and with Activity Days!  And I feel like this is the second part of my mission.  I am a firm believer in the organization of Activity Days.  One of my best friends in the world joined the church because of that organization, back when we were really young.  I had her over to play, and Activity Days started so I invited her to join.  It turns out that we learned to sing a song in Sacrament at that activity.  So I invited my friend to come to that as well, since she had learned the song.  It was that moment that led her to continue coming to church, and eventually getting baptized.  Now she is married in the temple and has a beautiful family.  She inspires me every day!

And I feel so blessed to now have that opportunity again, to influence the lives of these young girls in Activity Days!  I know that it is where I am supposed to be right now, and I am so grateful for the opportunities I have been given to serve.  And I am so grateful for all of the people out there who are serving full time missions, who inspire me every day and remind me what's most important.

We don't have to be out in a foreign land, set apart as full time missionaries, wearing the badge, to be missionaries and do the wonderful work of the Lord.  As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we covenant every week to take that name upon us.  We are wearing the badge, and it's important to remember that and to be an example of the believers.  Every day we can find ways to serve others and bring people closer to Christ.  And maybe one day, Brock and I can serve a full time mission together... but until then, here's to member missionary work!  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment